Cristina Ivan is Director of the National Institute for Intelligence Studies, “Mihai Viteazul” National Intelligence Academy in Romania and a researcher in security and intelligence studies. She holds a PhD in cultural studies. She also has worked as an intelligence analyst.
Over the past 15 years she has specialized in the cultural study of violence, radicalization and terrorism, propaganda and disinformation, critical intelligence studies etc. She has taken an active part in European funded projects targeting an enhanced understanding and early detection of radicalization, propaganda, disinformation, as well as designing both preventive and countering interventions.
Research projects include:
- A radical model of resilience for young minds – ARMOUR (2019-2021);
- Semantic Analysis against Foreign Fighters Recruitment Online networks – SAFFRON (2016-2018);
- Culture and Risk Management in Man-made and Natural Disasters, CARISMAND (2016-2018);
- Mind the Gap in media coverage and strategic communication in case of security threats – CRESCEnt (2019-2021)
- Empowering a Pan-European Network to Counter Hybrid Threats – EU-HYBNET, 2020-2025